Howdy! On this page you’ll find Rand’s:
For professional events and republication, please use the following bio: Rand Fishkin is the cofounder and CEO of SparkToro, makers of fine audience research software. He’s dedicated his professional life to helping people do better marketing through his writing, videos, speaking, and his book, Lost and Founder. When Rand’s not working, he’s usually cooking a fancy meal for the love of his life, author Geraldine DeRuiter. If you bribe him with great pasta or fancy cocktails, he’ll pull back the curtain on big tech’s dark secrets.
Feel free to republish the photos below with credit back to this page.
Professional Backstory: Rand dropped out of the University of Washington in 2000 to work full-time at his mother’s small business marketing firm as a web designer. In 2004, he created the SEOmoz blog, which, over the next decade, became the world’s most popular community and content resource for search marketers. In 2007, the company (Moz) transitioned from consulting to software and Rand took the role of CEO. That same year, he proposed to his longtime girlfriend, Geraldine DeRuiter, with a TV commercial that received widespread publicity (and, later, an awkward appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show). The two married in 2008 in a move Rand considers the best of his life.
Over 7 years as CEO, Rand grew Moz to 130+ employees, $30M+ in revenue, and traffic to 30M+ visitors/year. He raised two rounds of funding, led three acquisitions, and a rebrand. Rand stepped down as CEO in 2014 during a rough bout with depression and left the company 4 years later. Rand also co-founded Inbound.org alongside Dharmesh Shah. The site was sold to Hubspot in 2014.
In 2018, Rand started SparkToro with Casey Henry and published, with Penguin/Random House, Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World. Rand previously co-contributed to two books: Art of SEO, and Inbound Marketing & SEO. He’s been profiled in the Seattle Times, featured in Puget Sound Business Journal’s 40 Under 40, named to BusinessWeek’s 30 Under 30, written about in Newsweek, The Next Web, the Inc 500, and hundreds of other publications. He is, however, most proud of his prominent appearances in Geraldine’s first book, All Over the Place. Geraldine and Rand are also small investors in TinySeed Accelerator, LegUp, TeamSportz, Techstars Seattle and Backstage Capital.
- Get in touch: email rand at sparktoro dot com (please don’t use Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc. I’m not great about checking them)
- Social Networks (from most to least used): Mastodon, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pocket, Slideshare, Quora, Pinterest.
Booking Rand to Speak:
- Meaningful with Paul Campillo: Marketing is a Product (2020)
- How to Reach Your Audience Beyond Facebook & Google (2020)
- StartupGrind 2019
- SMX Munich 2019 Opening Keynote
- Rand on Wistia’s Brandwagon 2019
- All of Rand’s slides 2012-2019 on Slideshare (text & visuals)
- For virtual speaking events, a $500 donation to https://www.givedirectly.org/ is appreciated.
- For in-person events, requirements vary based on location:
- <3 hour flight from Seattle – $500 donation to Give Directly and reimbursement for flight + hotel
- 3-6 hour flight from Seattle – $500 donation to Give Directly, purchase of 200 copies of Lost & Founder (bulk rates available through the publisher), and reimbursement of flight + hotel
- 6+ hour flight from Seattle – $1,000 donation to Give Directly, purchase of 500 copies of Lost & Founder (bulk rates available through the publisher), and reimbursement of flight + hotel
I’m currently accepting travel-required speaking invitations after: September, 2022 (depending on when travel is safe). If you’d like me to speak at an event after the date above, please drop a line to [email protected].
For official/press/event usage, feel free to take any of the following (please link back to this page in reference):